c1959 Selmer TV6 "Popular" + "Champ Lubrication"
c1961 Selmer TV12/T "Professional"
Hello there everybody. Whilst not belonging to the same customers, this pair of Selmer-Truvoice amplifiers are certainly within the same “time frame” and era. They are a cute Maroon/Grey TV6 and a very nice condition Red/Cream TV12.
Though I hate to repeat myself, I have to say once again that, like most amplifiers of this age, all the coupling capacitors needed changing on both of them and once again, as-is quite often the case, all the main smoothing electrolytic’s were all fine. Cool!
Starting with the TV6, I was led to believe that this belonged to a customer (it came in from a shop) who being the owner of this cute baby was an entertainer on the boats, basically travelling from the UK to different ports in different countries. I was also told how this guy had lent his little baby to a cousin of the family and it arrived back with a hole drilled randomly in the top!! What sacrilege and what a stupid thing to do! The owner was apparently very annoyed and angry at this, and I don’t blame him at all!
Apart from carrying out a service with all the things one would normally do on an amp of this type and age, I also had to think of what I could do with this “hole in the top”. I made the decision to place an old-fashioned type of pilot lamp in here. (Later Selmer versions of this model did in-fact have a “top mounted” pilot lamp.) The drill that this person had used on this hideous hole must have been completely blunt, as the wood on the inside had scorched too! Anyway, I found a suitable old neon lamp that was perfect for the job and fitted the same. There was a small tear in the diddy 6” x 4” elliptical speaker too, so this was repaired with “good-‘ole” tyre puncture-outfit repair adhesive (this always works wonders here) and alas the job was done and finished. By the way, someone had previously rewired the input socket, volume control, and input grid (grid 1) of the first tube (valve) and made quite a hash of it. I rewired all of this with new, modern, good quality shielded cable, improving things immensely.
A complete tube change, including the tired EZ80 rectifier was also carried out (as requested by the customer) and everything ended up fine. What a nice, cute, rare amp this is!
Sprayed & cleaned potentiometers and valve bases.
Rewired input jack & volume control screened cables. (Had been done very untidy & 'iffy.)
Replaced three duff capacitors.
Replaced power cord for 3mtr, 3 core and refitted plug. (This cable had to be changed by law. This applies to any old equipment which doesn’t have a proper ground (earth) connection. It's safe now!).
Fitted blanking grommet in side hole and fitted pilot “on lamp” to top hole, making this look acceptable now!
Repaired speaker as requested, including rewire of same. (Shoddy wiring on speaker & output transformer too!).
Replaced all bodged chassis securing screws with correct type plus, correct washers & speaker securing nuts. Managed to find suitable missing back retaining clip! Replaced all four clip retaining screws too as these were all odd, and most were not locking!
Moving on to the TV12, this pretty much needed the same kind of servicing and component changes as the TV6, although there were no silly holes drilled in this one. However, there was a non-working tremolo which I repaired. It is owned by a gentleman called Alan, and he had a pretty long drive up from Windsor, UK, He had booking a day off work in order to come up to Nottingham, meet me and get his little amp fixed whilst he waited.
After five hours or so the job was complete, and Alan left very pleased with the results. He has since contacted me with the report that the amp is noticeably better now (I’m not surprised!) although he still finds it a little harsh. As Alan is using his baby TV12 with an acoustic guitar with an active pick-up, I feel this may be a little to do with the harshness. Nevertheless, he is going to try it with an ordinary electric guitar (like a Fender Strat) and get back to me with the results, I’m sure the amp will be fine.
Thanks to you all for all your interest in the site, John.
Note the new pilot light fitted to disguise the hole in the top of the amp.
Tubes - 1 x EF86; 1 x EL84: 1 x EZ80
Tubes: 2 x ECC83: 2 x 6AQ5; 1 x EZ80